Innovate in Animal Health
Based on our belief that healthy animals build a healthier world, we use our expertise in animal health to solve sustainability challenges facing animals and people.
- Our customers have ambitious sustainability goals. They want to foster sustainable farming practices that provide safe, affordable nutrition for a growing population while increasing animal welfare and ensuring a positive social impact. We support them through innovations that enhance farm productivity while improving animal welfare; reduce carbon emissions, water use and labor; and drive the responsible use of antibiotics.
- We provide products and solutions to help veterinarians predict, prevent, detect, and treat disease across the entire lifecycle of animals. We call this the continuum of care. Across markets, our field-based technical services teams and veterinary professional services teams work closely with our customers and provide medical and technical support to assist them in making the right decisions about the health of animals under their care.
- We provide products and services that enable productive and sustainable livestock farms to preserve animal welfare by equipping our customers with innovative products such as Improvac (immunomodulators for use in swine), Clarifide (genetics for use in dairy cattle), InheritSelect (genetics for use in beef cattle), and Smartbow (precision livestock farming for cattle).
- We promote a preventative approach to animal health through the use of genetics, technology, vaccines, and medicine with positive implications on human health. Reducing the risk of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is an explicit consideration in our portfolio valuation process and outcomes research, which measures effectiveness of healthcare delivery by taking into account health status and disease burden. We have removed all growth promotion claims from critically important antibiotics globally.
To help preserve the effectiveness of antibiotics for decades to come, Zoetis innovates to support veterinarians and livestock farmers to predict, prevent, detect, and treat disease. We call this the continuum of care because it spans the entire spectrum of health solutions:
- We continue to grow access to veterinary care in emerging markets. Through our
African Livestock Productivity and Health Advancement (A.L.P.H.A.) initiative, co-funded by a $14 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, we have increased the availability of veterinary medicines; created sustainable diagnostic networks; and provided training and education to farmers in sub-Saharan Africa. Through these activities, we positively impact farmers’ livelihoods in Nigeria, Uganda, Ethiopia, and Tanzania and help them provide a safe food supply.
- Zoetis also provides financial assistance to the World Small Animal Veterinary Association’s (WSAVA) AFSCAN program that supports veterinarians and their staff in underserved regions of the world such as Malawi, Thailand, and India.
- We combat diseases that pose risk to animals and humans through our Center for Transboundary and Emerging Diseases (CTED), which is developing vaccines for high-impact emerging diseases globally. There are over 200 known diseases which can be passed from animals to humans. Over $10 million has been invested so far.