Zoetis is committed to the health of animals and supporting the people who care for them. As we grow our business in a way that is considerate of our global community, we are committed to protecting our planet by using the world’s resources wisely, developing innovative products that advance animal care and help nurture the world in a sustainable way, and supporting our colleagues and the communities where we live and work.
As the leading animal health company and provider of vaccines, medicines and diagnostic services, we help our customers meet the growing global demand for animal protein and support the health of pets. Further, we work to implement sustainable and responsible practices directly into the development, manufacture and appropriate use of our products.
To support this commitment, we are:
- Elevating sustainability as one of our strategic business priorities.
- Taking steps to understand the environmental risks and opportunities associated with our business practices and use of our products.
- Assessing the risks that climate change could have on our globally diverse network of manufacturing sites and other operations, including regulatory, compliance, economic, and physical risks, and if necessary, developing strategies and processes to manage such risks.
- Undertaking initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility and continuously evaluate opportunities to enhance our processes.
- Partnering with our colleagues, communities and those who care for animals.
- Accelerating inclusion, equity and more diverse representation across the company.
- Ensuring compliance with environmental, health and safety laws and regulations where we operate.
- Promoting awareness and engaging with our colleagues and customers regarding sustainability and our initiatives.
Resource Conservation, Energy Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Environmental sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Zoetis has established environment, health and safety (EHS) procedures and standards which help ensure that we operate in environmentally appropriate ways from the beginning of research, to manufacturing and through the entire lifecycle of any given product.
Across our organization, we are committed to:
- Improving sustainability by reducing water intake, reducing waste, and improving energy efficiency.
- Rethinking our product packaging to reduce its environmental footprint.
- Measuring, monitoring and reducing our sites’ energy use and associated greenhouse gas emissions.
- Maintaining an EHS Management System at each of our sites.
Specific to our livestock business, we are focused on discovering and developing innovative solutions to help our customers meet the world’s growing demand for protein. By 2050, the world must feed a population estimated to reach 9 billion people which will require almost double the current amount of protein produced. Given constraints on land, water and other resources, relying upon today’s farming practices is neither practical nor sustainable. Innovative solutions are required to meet the challenge of the growing demand for animal protein. More fish, meat, poultry, milk and eggs from fewer, healthier animals results in enough animal protein for people without increasing the use of limited resources.
To support our livestock customers’ sustainability goals, we are committed to:
- Innovating to provide solutions that can help livestock farmers raise healthier, more productive animals.
- Collaborating with veterinary and livestock agriculture stakeholders to consider how we can support sustainable farming practices that can enhance animal health and productivity as well as human and environmental health.
Colleagues and Communities
We are committed to supporting our colleagues by cultivating a diverse, engaged, flexible, safe and sustainable workplace where our colleagues can give their best every day. In supporting our communities and the people who care for animals, we take a localized approach to make a global impact.
We are committed to:
- Maintaining an inclusive environment, aligned with our Core Beliefs, where every colleague is engaged and can thrive.
- Working to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in our business practices and the communities where we live and work.
- Ensuring a safe working environment for our colleagues through our Global Environment, Health and Safety policy standards that define EHS performance requirements for each site, procedures and recommended practices.
- Supporting education and helping to increase diversity in the veterinary profession.
- Expanding access to veterinary care for populations in need and in under-served and emerging markets.
Governance, Transparency and Reporting
Sustainability is embedded into the way we operate through our strategic decision-making, business processes and formal commitments to environmental, social and governance (ESG) responsibilities as we continue to work with our customers, colleagues and communities to reach our common goals for a healthier, more sustainable world.
We are committed to:
- Reviewing regularly our environmental impact so improvements can be assessed and implemented where possible.
- Reporting regularly to our Board of Directors on our environmental initiatives and progress.
- Reporting regularly to our Board of Directors on our talent development, diversity, equity and inclusion, and colleague engagement programs and policies.
- Reporting externally on the ongoing progress of our ESG commitments annually.
- Seeking input on our ESG practices and performance from stakeholders.
Our Board of Directors will continue to provide guidance regarding sustainability goals and the overall sustainability strategy and will monitor our progress in ESG areas, including climate change, to enable sustainable growth over the long term.
Zoetis is committed to continuously improving the sustainability of our business. This policy was approved by our Executive Team and shared with our Board of Directors, and our Head of Sustainability is responsible for ensuring its implementation. This policy will be communicated to our colleagues, contractors and suppliers, and will be available to the public on our corporate website.